Home News Survivors of Ibadan explosion share struggles, seek government support

Survivors of Ibadan explosion share struggles, seek government support

by Edit

IBADAN- On Monday, some victims of the Bodija explosion in Ibadan told hard tales of their lives after the incident and how they have been coping with the new reality.

The victims, who live at Dejo Oyelese Street, where the explosion occurred, said in an interview with journalists that life has been challenging for them since then.

On January 16, an explosion rocked the Bodija area of the Ibadan metropolis, with no fewer than five deaths recorded, 77 people sustaining injuries, and several houses being destroyed.

One of the victims, who is mentally challenged, Olagoke Odia, who communicated with the help of his neighbour, said life had not been the same for him since the blast.

He stated that the house left for him and his brother by his parents was levelled by the explosion, adding that he had since been sleeping anywhere he could lay his head.

“I slept on the street last night because my brother told me that the government has asked us not to come back to where it provided for the victims, and we have stayed there for three days.

“We were told that another place located at Akobo has been provided for us, but I could not go there because it is far from Bodija, where I stay, as it will cost me N1,000 to and fro,” Mr Odia said.

Another victim, Taiwo Salami, stated that his life and that of his family had not been the same as they had to squat with his brother because the explosion had damaged his house.

Mr Salami said that his wife, who was badly injured due to the blast, had just left the hospital.

“My wife was injured because the burglar-proof got removed from the window and pinned her to the wall, thus rendering her completely unconscious. We didn’t even know that she was bleeding from her leg,” said Mr Salami.

The victim also recounted that his daughter was on the bed when the ceiling collapsed during the explosion.

He said this business outlet was also damaged along with his house, adding that life had been extremely difficult for him and his family.

Mr Salami said life had been difficult for victims, including the older ones who had lived in their homes for more than 40 years and young ones mentally traumatised by the incident.

“You were already used to your comfort zone, but now you have to be squatting. You don’t know where your belongings are. It is a very terrible situation,” Mr Salami stated.

Other victims, Bisi Olasope and Dayo Morakinyo, both residents of Dejo Oyelese Street and Rauf Isola of Awosika Avenue, recounted their experiences, which they described as devastating.

They called on the government to be sincere with the integrity test set to be conducted on the houses around the area so that they would not further lose their property.

The residents also appealed for the government’s continuous support so that people could pick up the pieces of their lives and stabilise. 

(NAN)

You may also like

Leave a Comment

Online Media Published By

Precise Post Online Media Ltd (RC 7570339)

We are team of competent journalists, crafting compelling data-driven stories; shedding light on global news with precision and authority.

Precise Post @2024 – All Right Reserved. Designed and Developed by ObserverNG