Mines Minister Rufin Beltoungou said the government would formally suspend activity at the site in Zamboye until further notice following the disaster on Tuesday.
Beltoungou said the dead were of 35 Central Africans, 12 Cameroonians and two Chadians.
A senior official at a local mining association had said on Wednesday that more than 100 people had been killed.
A prosecutor said rescue efforts were continuing, and said the number of casualties was still being established.
Artisanal mining is a vital source of work and income across Africa, but informal operations often function with limited oversight, inadequate safety measures and little emergency capacity, making collapses and other fatal accidents frequent.
Cameroon has pledged to formalise parts of the sector, seeking to improve regulation, safety and tax collection. (Reuters/NAN)